Wednesday, June 16, 2010




Response to Daffodils and Rite of Passage
I believe much can be said about titles of literature and poetry seems to have no exception. When skimming the list of poems two had caught my eye, I suppose it was my imagination that drew me to want to explore beyond the name. For example, Daffodils by Alicia Ostriker only caught my eye because I had been a florist and had always admired how nature could create such a unique flower. The first two lines of this poem give a purpose for what is to follow, “The day the war against Iraq begins”, brought me a bit of sadness. (Ostriker) Until proceeding to the second line, “I’m photographing the yellow daffodils”, which gave me the sense that this could have been a reporter or soldier finding beauty in wartime. (Ostriker) It was interesting how Alicia chose to describe the flower; it felt as though she was comparing the structure of the daffodil to a tiny soldier. I also found it intriguing how a daffodil can bring a somber mood in the lines, “-Which in a sense is also hell because the daffodils do look as if they dance.” (Ostriker) I can only assume that for those who have had their regular daily lives destroyed by war, the simplest flower thriving could cause heartache or disbelief.
Now with my second choice, Rite of Passage by Sharon Olds, was not quite what I was expecting it to be. It begins with a parent describing theirs son’s party, there are no specifics until the fourteenth line that it is a birthday party. I enjoyed reading how the parent saw their son along with the other children. Describing them as, “short men , men in first grade with smooth jaws and chins”, “a room of small bankers. I often feel children look like miniature adults. This parent spent a great deal of time observing children and how they would interact with one another. It made me wonder if this poem was a reflection on the writers own experience as a parent. Great detail was spent in interpreting the children’s communication with each other. For example, “How old are you? -Six. –I’m seven. –So?”, this gave even more of a visual to what the scenery may have been like. There was no indication as to what time period this may have taken place, but it could have been any decade post wartime. The banter back and forth between the children leads up to, “like Generals, they relax and get down to playing war”. After this line was, “celebrating my son’s life”, which sparked memories of when I have observed my children in play and found a sense of joy in watching them enjoy themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment